Job Number 19131693
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location The Ritz-Carlton| Toronto| 181 Wellington Street West| Toronto|
Brand The Ritz-Carlton
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At more than 80 award-winning properties worldwide| The Ritz-Carlton Ladies
and Gentlemen create experiences so exceptional that long after a guest stays
with us| the experience stays with them. As the premier worldwide provider of
luxury experiences| we set the standard for rare and special luxury service
the world over. We invite you to explore The Ritz-Carlton.
Accountable for the quality| consistency and production of the specialty
restaurant kitchen. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks
while leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Coordinates
menus| purchasing| staffing and food preparation for the property|s specialty
restaurant. Works with team to improve guest and employee satisfaction while
maintaining the operating budget. Must ensure sanitation and food standards
are achieved. Develops and trains team to improve results.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary| food and
beverage| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts| Hotel and
Restaurant Management| or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary|
food and beverage| or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Setting and Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met for
• Develops| designs| or creates new applications| ideas| relationships|
systems| or products| including artistic contributions for specialty
• Supervises specialty restaurant kitchen shift operations and ensures
compliance with all Food & Beverage policies| standards and procedures.
• Maintains food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
• Recognizes superior quality products| presentations and flavor.
• Plans and manages food quantities and plating requirements for the specialty
• Communications production needs to key personnel.
• Assists in developing daily and seasonal menu items for the specialty
• Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Estimates daily specialty restaurant production needs.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types| either on a regular basis or for
special guests or functions.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards
• Determines how food should be presented and creates decorative food
Leading Kitchen Team
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Leads shift teams while personally preparing food items and executing
requests based on required specifications.
• Supervises and manages specialty restaurant kitchen employees. Managing all
day-to-day operations. Understanding employee positions well enough to perform
duties in employees| absence.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust| respect| and cooperation among team
• Serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Ensuring and maintaining the productivity level of employees.
• Ensures employees are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
• Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
• Establishes and maintains open| collaborative relationships with employees
and ensures employees do the same within the team.
Establishing and Maintaining Specialty Restaurant Kitchen Goals
• Sets and supports achievement of kitchen goals including performance goals|
budget goals| team goals| etc.
• Developing specific guidance and plans to prioritize| organize| and
accomplish daily kitchen operations work.
• Understands the impact of kitchen operation on the overall property
financial goals and objectives and manages to achieve or exceed budgeted
• Effectively investigates| reports and follows-up on employee accidents.
• Knows and implements company safety standards.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and
• Manages day-to-day operations| ensuring the quality| standards and meeting
the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand
guest needs| providing guidance| feedback| and individual coaching when
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses
on continuous improvement.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Handles guest problems and complaints.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching| mentoring| or
otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Participates in training specialty restaurant staff on menu items including
ingredients| preparation methods and unique tastes.
• Manages employee progressive discipline procedures.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process| providing
feedback as needed.
• Uses all available on the job training tools for employees.
• Assists as needed in the interviewing and hiring of employee team members
with appropriate skills.
• Provides information to supervisors| co-workers| and subordinates by
telephone| in written form| e-mail| or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
_The Ritz-Carlton is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a
diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. The Ritz-Carlton does
not discriminate on the basis of disability| veteran status or any other basis
protected under federal| state or local laws._
_ Notification to Applicants :The Ritz-Carlton| Toronto takes seriously
its obligations under provincial human rights and accessibility legislation
(such as the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act| 2005| the
Accessibility for Manitobans Act| and Nova Scotia Accessibility Act). We are
happy to provide accommodations to job applicants needing assistance. If you
require an accommodation in relation to this job posting| our online
application or an interview| please call 905-366-5227 or email
CanadaApplicationAccommodation@marriott.com and a member of our Human
Resources team will respond to your request. Please note that this phone
number and email are only for those individuals who would like to request an
accessibility accommodation as part of the recruiting process._